Saturday, March 24, 2018

Second nature

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

     How appropriate that this reading today is balancing two natures which we face and know so well. I especially face this today. That is the balance between our outward nature and our inward being; infirmity or temporary afflictions and our eternal destiny. As my mother-in-law is in the hospital today after a really bad fall. We are watching for her to get better and pray she will return to us. Very tough.

     I am sure the disciples had a hugely difficult time knowing Jesus had to go, maybe even realized what he was going to go through, having to see it unfold and happen but somehow, hopefully, know he was returning to the Father. Brutal. Heart wrenching. Very human. A balancing act which we often lean heavily on the human side, praying to avoid facing the transition. 

     I can think of many circumstances in my own life where I was faced quite seriously with moving on to a higher plane, facing my maker as they say. It's quite difficult to face our two natures especially when the latter might seem too big an unknown. An aneurysm tends to do that. I was lucky enough to have mine discovered but I knew I had to make preparations. If anything at all, it told me we are guaranteed nothing. 

     Coming out also involves two natures, a transition if you will and the latter, "hey, I'm gay"! has a whole host of uncertainties not unlike taking our final steps towards our eternal destiny. We are dying to an imperfect life we may be comfortable with to a more complete and honest self but filled with fears and unknowns. So what is it that helps us move forward and face whatever unknown is before us?

     The answer is faith and that is all about love. Love never dies, it is the constant. Love may be denied us but it  reappears in others. A loved one may pass but the love in our heart and the memories never die. That love still exists, will always exist.

     As we approach the unapproachable for ourselves , for a loved one or as we approach Holy week and the death and Resurrection of our Lord, we know that love is the constant that we have and can always count on. Isn't love and God's love for us what Easter is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment