Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Ming vases

2 Corinthians 4:7

     But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us.

     Many of us have the memory of playing with playdough and the like. A lot of fun for sure, you can make and re-make, mold and remold things. We have a  toy cabinet for the grandkids and play dough is in already in there. Somewhat true of silly putty as well. Make an image of the comics then squish it and you can start all over. Endless fun.

      I love the image about clay jars here in todays reading. It centers my attention on the idea that God is the potter and we are the clay. That might be especially important this week as we come to the end of Lent and come to the Paschal Triduum. We are the clay that God intends to mold. There are a couple of elements to clay that we have to remember however.

      Before a clay pot or jar is finished, it is crucial that it maintain the ability to be molded. In our case that might be the equivalent to really listening, praying or hardening not our hearts. I have had instances in my own life when I am so sure that I know what the plan is, that I am not even listening  for anything else. I miss (ed) the point entirely as if I am my own clay and potter rolled into one. I try to maintain the ability to be molded. I don't think God is done with me and may not be done until the day I wind up knocking on her pearly gates. This week seems like a crucial time to be aware and listening for God trying to make the entire week a thin place for ourselves. I have been graced on a few occasions in life to steal myself away to a monastery for the Triduum and it is glorious to do so.  The silence is deafening and the voice of God is clearly awesome. I feel like clay, very willing to be molded.

       Another thing I have noted about clay jars or pots is how fragile they can become if they dry out, that is, lose their ability to be molded. I once walked a labyrinth whose path was lined with shards of broken clay pots. It seems so apropos. Are we to become a ming vase or shards for people to walk all over? Perhaps if we are shards we might be lucky enough to be a path for others but that seems so apologetic. I think we really are clay in the potters hands. It is our cooperation and acceptance that makes all the difference.

       So how is that coming this Lent? Hardened pots of clay for us? or allowing ourselves to be molded by the potter?

No comments:

Post a Comment