Friday, March 3, 2017

Bearing witness to God's create world for Lent



     It seems to me that Jesus came to call every one of us, all of God's creations, not just the sinners and not just the righteous. God's intricate and magnificent design is seen in every created thing. Everything God created is a witness to the 'music' that stirs in her essence.  Everything and everyone is a facet of the diamond that God has created.

     Yesterday I was noting that part of our Lenten journey might be to embrace our humanity and to discover it, appreciate it, even revel in it, maybe even get all pruny with it.  At the same time as we are appreciating ourselves and the unique being God created and sent into the world, it might also be a great idea for Lent to appreciate everything in God's world.

     I have had a lifelong love of bicycling. Whether it was riding the 5 lonesome miles to work on a little red folding bike compliments of my Dad or riding on my first Schwinn 10 speed the 30 miles back from the bike shop when I had finally saved up money to buy it. These days I cycle around our little island on virtually the same roads you find me driving on each day. What is very different as you ride along a farm country lane though is you notice so much more. There are smells and sights you just don't get driving. The sights and the smells are all part of God's creation that I think I appreciate just a bit more because I am riding along with no particular agenda in mind. There is a mindfulness to my riding. In many ways it is the same reason we enjoy hiking so much.  You really get in tune with God's creation.

       I have a friend named Paul Kimmerling who, among his many talents, is a gifted photographer. I love seeing his perspective and gift to capture a frame of reference for something that  you might not always see as one hurries along on our daily routines. I suppose it is not just his eye but his ability to still himself (no pun intended) and capture a moment, a facet of the world.  It is no wonder that Paul routinely gives spiritual retreats involving photography.

       I mention Paul and my cycling because they are ways in which we can come closer to God's world, to see Creation in a more intimate way. Besides appreciating ourselves during lent, it behooves us to appreciate everything that God has created. Each and every leaf, rock, animal or person is a creation of God that gives witness to the glory of her creation. I think it is safe to simply say "God so loved the world". Period. You can add more and it would be true and perhaps necessary to note but it is also important to note that God speaks not just through his Son and through us but also through the created world.

       Take the time to see what is all around you.

   

















Matthew 9:10-13


And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, ‘Why does your teacher eat with tax-collectors and sinners?’ But when he heard this, he said, ‘Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.’

No comments:

Post a Comment