Saturday, May 7, 2016

Plain speak'n

        In the course of my job and ministry as a Deacon, I have witnessed and listened to many people. There are several that come to mind that have had extraordinarily brutal things happen to them or a family member.  Like many horrific things, they go beyond our ability to reason. We simply cannot understand why such a thing would happen to such nice people. ( May I suggest a good read: When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Rabbi Harold S. Kushner‎ ). Anyway the anguish seems almost monumental.  When it happens it is difficult to ask God why.  Why all powerful God did you let this happen to my son,  husband or whomever? I know that it comes with the territory of free will. If we want free will we cannot have God intervening in everything. I also think we bring many of these things on ourselves, not individually, but societally. In any event discussion with God is nixed. The person has a justifiable anger and God is the target. 

        One of the things I tell people in whatever state they find themselves in, talk to God as he would find you. If you need to , tell, God you are mad as hell. This goes to speaking plainly.  God knows what is in your heart and Jesus certainly knows the anguish of the human condition, of losing a friend, of having to say goodbye to people you adore and love.  This goes to the heart of speaking plainly.

      So many people sugar coat, bend the truth or give broad smiles at all the right moments except when they are alone. God sees it all, God knows it all, God wants to hear from you good, bad or indifferent.  

      Many so called believers these days praise God on Sunday and are some of the most hateful ignorant people I have ever seen. It reminds me of some plain speaking I saw on a church sign recently. I would imagine if Jesus returned today he might a bit of plain speaking to do some people and some of the faithful might have some 'splaining' to do  as Ricky Ricardo might say.


          Whether you are speaking to God, a therapist or anyone else, honesty and plain speaking is key. I'm not taking about rude 'honesty' or judgemental' honesty or arrogant 'honesty'. Plain speaking honesty with God always works. I am sure God would appreciate hearing from each one of us.

John 16:23-28

On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. 

‘I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father. On that day you will ask in my name. I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. I came from the Father and have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world and am going to the Father.’

No comments:

Post a Comment