Monday, April 25, 2016

Personal acts of piety

          It was the year of my  'coming out' and I was about 50 years old. I wanted to immerse myself in everything gay.  Gay expo, gay bars, gay books, gay pride. And so it was that I found myself in New York City on Pride weekend with some great friends. And lest you think I have changed, one of the things I wanted to do to celebrate was go to church. Bishop Gene Robinson had been asked to speak at a Presbyterian church in town and I wanted to hear him. I realized I am gay but I am also true to the fact that it is through God's graces that I have lived. It is through God's graces that I am gay and blessed being so I would add. 

       So as I enter the church, good Catholic boy that I was, I genuflect as a pass the alter. One of the ministers is quick to point out, "we don't do that here".   It seems like such an innocuous practice and certainly a sign of respect but a practice that speaks to definite differences between denominations. I am all for respect but I thoroughly understand the Presbyterian stance. I agree with it. So much for small acts of piety.  

         In the parish in which I used to serve there was a deacon, I have written about him from time to time. We have special names for him around the house here but let's just call him Joe.  Joe was amazingly devout except when it came to practicing and being a good Christian.  He was able to spout that this or that being a "mortal sin", almost about anything really. He "vomited" people out ( his words, not mine ), and routinely said people were "dead" to him.   Anyway, you get the picture. On the altar serving, Joe had a large number of religious flourishes  and actions to highlight the holiness of a given moment or perhaps himself.   When I was in the Seminary at this time I found out what actually was a mortal sin ( rarely did anyone's actions rise to Joe's criteria ), what proper actions were really to be performed on the altar and so forth. I realized just how many of Joe's actions were simple acts of personal piety. 

          As with many things in the Roman church, there are  myriad, a multitude, a mammoth amount of actions required and in proper sequence,  timing and execution.  To not do this or that properly put the entire Mass or event at risk of nullification or disrespect - probably a mortal sin! The intent of honoring God in our actions was locked up in precise, mechanized actions. So sad. What was especially funny to me was the time Joe prepared 'home made' hosts for a service. He and his wife put honey in the host to make it blend better, taste better or some such. It certainly was unleavened. However when news got out, it was 'honeygate'! The host was not 'valid', there was all kinds of calls to have him punished and the wires between our parish  and the bishop were overtaxed and sizzling.

          What have I learned from any and all of this?  Does it all really matter? Does honey in the host matter? really?? What is our intent or his intent in attending Mass?  Is the presence of Christ limited to a section of the Altar? only the altar? Is it a precise incantation and formula that is required for the living presence of Christ in a host?

        Perhaps I am getting old and tired of the minutea of religion.  So many have tired long before me and abandoned the lunacy of the Roman church. But in our lives and the life our faith, do we really need personal acts of piety to guarantee our legitimize our faithfulness?   Is our relationship with God that tenuous and must we be afraid of every little thing we do as a sin?

        My thoughts for this morning.  Have a truly beautiful, loving and God filled free day.

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

‘Beware of practising your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
‘So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
‘And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

‘And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment