Sunday, February 14, 2016

Lenten Journey: I've got the power !

      I am thoroughly enjoying my readings and 'retreat leader' so far this Lent.  There is much personal terrain to cross. It's a wonderful feeling to be in a seat of power over drifting aimlessly.

      The Gospel for today is just about power. The devil is tempting Jesus in the desert and Jesus comes through flawlessly as one would expect. The question posed to me then is how would I respond to such temptations. Then I realize, the question really is how do I respond to temptations, you know, the ones that you and I come across every day. Rarely do they involve transmuting rocks to bread or having dominion over the world or even a small portion thereof.

        But I realize I do have power all the same and the temptations I face are perhaps mundane compared to the universe but are powerful all the same. In the classic movie It's a Wonderful Life Jimmy Stewart has difficulty realizing the great impact his life has on everyone around him.  To the thinking person, this has enormous power and one realizes how our own actions can and do have a broad ranging impact on our community and even the world.

        What small decisions will I make today that will have a much broader affect? It can be as simple as a smile, recognizing the dignity of a stranger, a patient, a neighbor or even someone we find repulsive like a political candidate. Challenges indeed. Some simple, some not so simple, all to be used and exercised wisely.

        Part of the power that we hold is in the dignity given to us by virtue of our creation by God. How many of us can imagine being present at the moment that God, the creator of all we see and cannot see, made the decision that what the world needs now is the human in the form of me? You?
I was graced to be transported to that moment when I walked a labyrinth many years ago. The power of God in that moment was humbling, scary and enormously powerful. It was all more that I could take in before I broke into tears, trembling and weak in the knees.

         What do we do with the realization that we have such power in ourselves?  One is to respect who we are, be proud of who we are. Hopefully not arrogant but certainly some amount of a mature pride.  Pride in self is key and respect for self is key. No matter who you are and what God created you to be, if you truly know what God created you to be, love yourself, and use that power wisely.

          I am proud to be a decent and loving husband, father, minister and gay man. There is much more but this is what I am working with right now. I have the power! How about you?
         

No comments:

Post a Comment