Sunday, February 21, 2016

Lenten journey: I've been to the mountaintop

        The disciples present in today's reading sure had a front row seat. To be there in the presence of Moses, Elijah and the transfigured Jesus. How awesome, how honored they must have felt, how humbling. How small but honored they must have felt.

          The world has seen many great people come and go, none greater than Jesus I would say.  We all have visions of who the great ones are and we would be awed to be in their mere presence. Have you ever been so blessed, graced?  I can think of many people that I have been graced to know and I know they were living Saints. Still there are others that I feel graced to have read through their written words. One of them has been Thomas Merton who has spoken to me so often. He wrote as if it was for my understanding alone. Perhaps everyone felt that way and that is why he is so popular and revered. Another is Richard Rohr with whom I am blessed to share my own Lenten journey through his written word. I had occasion previously to spend time with him via audio tape. He mesmerizes me, help me to understand and again speaks to me, like Merton, as if it was written for only me to understand. Such concepts that I am humbled and amazed at what he is conveying so that even I can understand.

       I imagine that the Peter, James and John were filled with all sorts of emotions, amazement, fear, honor, humbled, awed at what they saw on the mountaintop. The range of emotion capped with the knowledge that Jesus is the "beloved Son".  I would have a difficult time not sharing it even when told "don't talk about it".

 ( Trail to another mountaintop, to Angel's        Landing, Zion National Park, Utah, USA )

        Yet I have too have been to a mountaintop. It may sound funny but I was 'on the mountaintop' in a huge valley. It is difficult to explain but awesome to hold the realization inside you.  I was on retreat in British Columbia and was meditating while sitting on a valley floor, surrounded by enormous and majestic mountains. I was awed and humbled. I felt so special and yet so small. I recall feeling one with the rocks and dirt, knowing that I had come from the same creator. I felt one with the dirt and at once part of the majesty around me. I wonder if that's how Peter, James and John felt. I think my revelations and feelings were light stuff compared to those fellows. Still it was awesome. The mere  thought of being one with the dirt and rocks and the similarity of Lent "remember man that you are dust...." is a sobering and wonderful thought.

        What mountaintops have we scaled, how many magnificent people, saints have we been graced to know or be simply aware of?  Is it possible to see the people around us transfigured as "beloved" children of God?  Can you see yourself transfigured as a beloved child of God?

          Take every opportunity to climb to the mountaintop and see if God is waiting there for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment