Monday, February 16, 2015

Stop making excuses

Luke 14:15-24

          Before it was legal for my husband and I to marry, we had an exchange of vows between ourselves with two witnesses. It was as solemn as any ceremony and we committed to each other as God was our witness. It was a Sacramental, non denominational wedding with God smiling down on us with love along with all those we invoked who also shined down on us from heaven. Some time later, we saw fit to invite to our home a group of people who had been particularly supportive of us. I still recall one person who called at the last minute to say "the day got away from me" and therefore would not be able to make it. I don't think my husband has ever gotten over such a lame excuse for such a joyous occasion. Clearly, the person had no idea what the invitation was for. Or maybe they did, who knows?

          We all have an arsenal of excuses at our disposal for just about everything. We can't do something because the time is not right or we don't have the time. We judge relationships that way too. This person isn't right, that person isn't right - not what I am looking for. Too old, too fat, too young, too muscular, not buff enough. You name it, we all have excuses. 

           I have a magnificent cat who while amazingly dog like and human at times, still maintains enough aloofness to let you know who is really in charge. There are times I can call him and he comes on command and there are others when there isn't a millimeter of movement. The time has to be right for him. Very likely, he senses when the time is right for me. I am the one that must be settled, really settled before he will come to me. 'Get yourself settled dad so you can give me the attention I deserve' I imagine him saying.  Almost all the situations I can think of in life are like that. The excuses we make are all about us. "The day got away from me" is really about being too busy with fluff. You accomplish really nothing and miss out on the most important things in life.

           I imagine God must be aching much more than my husband over "the day got away from me". How many times are we each called and we have one excuse or another. How much more would we accomplish if we actually put some time into the important. Maybe we'd find the minutia isn't really that important at all and what we shouldn't be wasting our time on is all sorts of errands and chores anyway.

           I wonder how many people in their frantic search for 'the right one' have missed any number of beautiful people who would love to love them except for that one dismissive excuse or another.   When you are too busy, too judgemental? Have your standards been set just a wee bit too high (sarcasm),  you easily miss out on who is out there looking for you. That goes for God and any number of delicious, delightful people. 

          You really miss out on life and love.  How sad is that?


One of the dinner guests, on hearing this, said to him, ‘Blessed is anyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God!’ Then Jesus said to him, ‘Someone gave a great dinner and invited many. At the time for the dinner he sent his slave to say to those who had been invited, “Come; for everything is ready now.” But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, “I have bought a piece of land, and I must go out and see it; please accept my apologies.” Another said, “I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out; please accept my apologies.” Another said, “I have just been married, and therefore I cannot come.” So the slave returned and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and said to his slave, “Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind, and the lame.” And the slave said, “Sir, what you ordered has been done, and there is still room.” Then the master said to the slave, “Go out into the roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled. For I tell you, none of those who were invited will taste my dinner.” ’

No comments:

Post a Comment