Thursday, January 29, 2015

The material as immaterial

Matthew 6:19-23

           When I was a young Dad, I was a bit of a screamer. I yelled at the kids for doing this or that, for not doing this or that. It wasn't a great way to parent. I often reacted first (and not always in a good way) and then calmed down to speak of the truly important stuff. I hope I am not remembered for my first reaction but by the wisdom that followed. I hope I did not irrevocably harm my kids, now in their 30's. 

            As a youth myself my Pop impressed the importance of people. When I had a car accident at 17 driving home from the Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia, his reaction was "Are you ok?" He would say that cars can be replaced but people cannot. From his own life experience he learned how immaterial the material can be. It is a very good way to view the world, appreciate life and people.

            They say life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. When the eyes (and heart and mind) take in life and see good, the world is a much better place for everyone. We all are accustomed to people who seem to only see bad in things going on. I describe those people as 'energy suckers' as opposed to people who are life giving.

             The most important thing in life is not any of the material wealth as this passage relates. It is once again (and always), love. The relationships we live and how we live them is key to where our true treasure lies. It lies within us and we can see it if we chose to. We do not need special glasses to see the love in life. We certainly don't need rose colored glasses either. But with our eyes wide open as well a heart that is open and a mind that is open, we can see the beauty of life, the love of life and the immateriality of material things

             Eyes wide open everyone.

 Addendum.  The process of realizing I am gay and coming out at the age of 50 was quite traumatic. I had to grasp a great deal and assimilate all the information and act in a rational, loving way. Of course the realization that I am gay was quite a bit of news. Another side benefit of this process is realizing what is truly important as this passage today relates. Happiness is not in the material. So here I was, a junior zen master, gay man, newbie. I wanted to meet everyone gay. I wanted to embrace the gay community. At the same time I knew what was truly important. So when I put an ad up looking for a new friend it often had a unique line inserted in the ad. It said "Healthy spirituality preferred". That drove many people away but it attracted a few like minded people who realized that it was ok to be gay and spiritual. I met some truly nice people, none of the jerks that some people lament that they have met on Craigslist or Grindr.  Knowing what is truly important and living your life accordingly is a great gift. In return, I was graced with one person in particular who had a beautiful spirituality of his own. I met my future husband and lover and supporter of a beautiful life together. And the beauty continues. Eyes wide open.

‘Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

‘The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment