Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Gay love

Song of Solomon 2:10-13

            Does anyone recognize what this passage is speaking to? I mislead you you a bit. It's not about gay love, it's about love. How many people will read this passage and say, 'this is how I feel' about my beloved. Gender will have no place in it. In fact, you may be in love with God. Your relationship with God may be so profound that you could have penned this song to God.

            So how does it feel to be in love?  Whatever troubles have occurred, whatever came before, it is lost in the present, in the presence of love. Leave the past behind, what matters is the now and our future. 

            You may have lived day to day, merely surviving and all of a sudden your eyes are open to the joys of the world. You see flowers. You hear birds singing. Life seems to be bursting forth all around you with optimism and possibility. Life seems sweet. Is that a description of love? I think so.
I certainly feel that way about my life, my husband, my God.

            And if you are living in that 'mere existence' of living, this affords you a glimpse of what can be like. It holds hope that "it gets better'.  This 'song' sings to the truth of life. It does not specify love of a man and a woman. It speaks to relationship and it is not gender limited and it is not restricted to humanity but also to our relationship with God. The truth of humanity is relationship and love, t is what we are called to and it is when we are at our best. 

            Blessed are those that smell the flowers, hear the birds and love to the full.
            

My beloved speaks and says to me:
‘Arise, my love, my fair one,
   and come away; 
for now the winter is past,
   the rain is over and gone. 
The flowers appear on the earth;
   the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtle-dove
   is heard in our land. 
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
   and the vines are in blossom;
   they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,

   and come away.

No comments:

Post a Comment