Saturday, November 15, 2014

Prayer without ceasing

1 Thessalonians 5:13-24

          When I think of prayer without ceasing as today's passage speaks of, I think of my time in the Seminary. Even with our limited time there, we arrived early in the morning for morning prayer and we stayed until it was time for evening prayer. The command to pray without ceasing led to the practice of The Liturgy of the Hours or simply 'the hours'.  Roughly, there are many specific periods during the day that are dedicated to prayer and since the faithful do this all over the globe, there is unceasing prayer around the world (considering time differences) to God. My daily blog entries are based loosely on readings from the hours. 

         I am not nearly as attentive to the hours as I once was but I still get up at 3am to pray, meditate and write. I like to think I am attentive during my workday to prayer and listening to God by virtue of the people I interact with. I have to say without reservation though that yesterday was a day when every moment seemed focused in prayer.  I suspect the upcoming days will make it more acute. As I approach the clipping of my aneurysm and as I left work, I was aware of every conversation, every glance at a picture, every smile, every hug. Every function was nuanced with the fact that my time here could very well be quite limited.  We all know that but yesterday it was omnipresent. 

          Although I have an excellent surgical team, a great anesthesiologist and great support staff that will work on me, I know my life truly is in God's hands.  The admonishments in this reading are right in front of me with every breath I take, every word I speak and every sight I see.   This may seem like a rehash of an entry from  last week but I clearly am super sensitive to my situation and it is helping me to be more appreciative, closer to God and honestly I feel more alive than I thought possible under the circumstances. 

         There is a supreme joy in loving someone like I love my husband, my family and my cat. There is a vibrancy to spin class, biking, hiking and tennis. There is a sublime nature to indulging in the exquisite dining which we get to occasionally enjoy.  There is also a part of me, and think all of us, that is elevated by the presence and awareness of our creator in our midst. So often we don't feel it or rather, we are distracted from it, but to be in touch with God at this vulnerable time is yet another true blessing. No matter what the outcome.  

        I AM truly blessed. There isn't enough that can be said about living life trying to be present to everything you do with a full awareness that God is there also. In so doing every action is a prayer, our lives are elevated to a higher plain of existence. It is unceasing prayer and it allows us a glimpse of Jesus' dual citizenship of being fully human and fully Devine. We can catch a glimpse if you will of our own dual citizenship, fully human with a promise as heirs to eternal life. Joyous.

esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, beloved, to admonish the idlers, encourage the faint-hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; abstain from every form of evil.

May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment