Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Death and taxes

John 21:15-17

          They say the only two requirements in life are death and taxes. Perhaps a bit pithy, it could be expounded on at length. We all know we will die one day but why must we pay taxes? Then comes a discussion about communal responsibility, being a part of something greater that simply ourselves, yada, yada, yada.

           When Jesus asks Simon (Peter) 'do you love me?' a similar concept comes to mind.  There may be advanced theological treatises on the meaning of this passage and the image of Jesus asking Peter 3 times when Peter soon denied Jesus 3 times. All that is well and very good to study and know but there is a much simpler message.

            Just as being a citizen of a country or city or town requires you to pay taxes out of your social responsibility, so too must you 'feed the sheep' , 'feed my lambs' and 'tend my sheep'. If we profess to be a faithful person or if we are aware of just how blessed we are by God, we then have a duty or a calling to share our good graces.

             Some are quick to be worldly about it, perhaps practical and say that is what is Biblically called the 'tithe'. The first ten percent of your income should go back to God. That would be a separate discussion for me. I would argue more that being faithful and grateful requires us to love more than just ourselves and our inner circle of friends and family. We are called to love, care for and embrace all of God's children, all of God's creation. That is the tending and feeding in my mind. 

         So as sure as death and taxes, we are called as citizen's of God's created world, to love and embrace in more than just monetary ways. 


When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’ A second time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Tend my sheep.’ He said to him the third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment