Wednesday, September 17, 2014

SOP

Colossians 3:14-17


           What a lovely passage and yet so vague.  Somewhat like the two Great Commandments.  Just enough wiggle room to make you think and have to use your conscience.

           I was talking with a coworker today, a beautiful soul, she and I discussed standards. We were both unanimous that some standards should never be lowered. Then she had to run off to the O.R. and I had much work to catch up on. We didn't get to discuss it any deeper. But since then I have been thinking about standards that we have.

          God forgive us but wars have been fought over standards. Pro-life zealots have killed physicians over not lowering their standards over the ability of women to have abortions. (seems ironic doesn't it?) There are standards out there in religion-dom that yields things like Al-Qaida and ISIS or ISIL or whatever fanatical group is out their. It's our way or the highway and there is no room for discussion or lowering of whatever standards are set.

           When I took up residence with my friend (whom I eventually married) there was some discussion over space. He was a bachelor of 40+ years in a 2 bedroom condo with little storage. I was coming out of a 30 year marriage with a great deal of baggage (of every variety). On the practical side we were struggling. My car had 'stuff' in the back seat that might make it appear that I was actually living there. Clinging onto "my space" was not really an option and compromise seemed the order of the day. Whatever things were not negotiable,  space was not one of them. If his standard was such that his space was sacrosanct, it would be a problem. One of his old friends suggested that you would never risk losing the man of your dreams over closet space. So, space was negotiable, that standard could fall.

           I might at one time held to a standard that whomever I got involved with, they had to be a Christian. I fell in love with a wonderful Jewish boy (ok, man). Could I lower my standard?  If I fell in love with a hunky arabesque man with olive skin named Jesus, would he be ok?  Jesus was Jewish, yes?  I think if being a Christian was a standard, that would fall. And, if I have to say, my husband being Jewish has enriched my life and my faith in God all the more.

           There are standards and there are standards. Some that we might think are important could bare some looking at. Others that might seem trivial can become deal breakers. I'm not talking just personal relationships here. I am speaking of life, of the world. What are our standards? What are they based on? Are they based on truth, knowledge and love or are they arbitrary "wants" or ignorant stereotypes and misinformation?

           What are your thoughts on standards? What are yours? What can be lowered and what cannot?  If a standard leads you to have to kill or behave in a non-Christian or non-loving way, can it be any standard of value?  Who is the final arbiter of all things? What is the final arbiter of all things?

        The answer is God and Love.

           
Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment