Sunday, May 11, 2014

Living on in our hearts

Acts 2:42-47

           I may have mentioned this a few times, forgive me please, but there have been several occasions in my life that I know I missed.  You know, those times when you wanted to do something and then the moment was gone...or the person was gone.  There are many people that lament what they should have said or should have done for someone and then that person is gone. The most heartfelt anguish comes when someone dies suddenly and people do not get the chance to say the things they wanted to say, to settle a disagreement or simply to reach out and show how much love is in their heart.  It happens all too often and of course that has happened to me on several occasions.

            I can only imagine the torment and the shock when Jesus died. It really happened rather quickly for the Apostles. It was a like a tsunami if evil that began to envelope them after they had arrived in such glory. Then the current changed , the wave of emotions rose and Jesus was taken away and crucified.  Aside from fear, the Apostles did not get the chance to ask those last questions of Jesus, the message was not fully congealed in their brains and then He was gone. Even after Easter morning the Apostles  still seemed a bit confused.

             Like us, the Apostles would have something that keeps people truly alive in our hearts, our lives and our actions.  While we may still lament unfinished business, the Holy Spirit keeps the essence and love of that person with us. I can't help but think of that today on Mothers Day because I do miss my own Mother. I also think of all the Mothers in word and deed in my life, the ones here and the ones that have moved on.  So formative and loving, so supportive and caring. They are in fact still alive in my heart even if I was not there to say a final good bye at the moment of passage.  Like the Apostles, I remember the words the lessons and the love and they are a part of me. Those words and lessons are a part of who I am and some of what I have to offer others.

           Praise Mother God and the Spirit of the living God that falls fresh on us and helps us all to 
re-member and live the love that is in our hearts.


They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles.
All who believed were together and had all things in common;
they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need.
Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts,
praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment