Thursday, March 20, 2014

What's your problem? What's important?


Philippians 4:4-9

           I think I am pretty good at praising God always, at least I try. I don't walking around saying "Praise Jesus!" all day but I say it quite frequently in my head as I walk around and do my work.  Several people know that I am a faithful person and it comes as a surprise to some who have know me for many years. I once was an angry person inside, fighting internal demons if you will. I was faithful in that I constantly sought God but I often failed. I was a troubled man. You probably know that realizing I was gay and coming out was a herculean task that lifted the weight of the world off my shoulders. God has indeed been great to me. 

        I was sitting at my workbench the other day when one of my coworkers came in to me sobbing, "I am so sorry".  She dented my car in the parking lot. It was somewhat ironic since four of us park alongside each other to prevent others from damaging our cars.  This person knows how nice I am but also knows me from the time I was unhappy and perhaps a bit volatile. She expected the volatile man to  appear and begged forgiveness. Imagine her shock  and almost disbelief when she was met with a consoling understanding workmate. She actually asked "don't you care?" I assured her I did and I'd prefer my car not be damaged but that it was after all only a car and no one was hurt. I was more concerned for her. Stunning for me, I hadn't even seen the damage yet! As it turns out the damage was pretty small, still expensive to fix because the dent was on a crease. Calmness and sanity had prevailed. 

        I could not help but think of this whole episode when I read this passage for today.  Sometimes we can get so wrapped up in the world and things of the world we may forget what is really important, we worry, we get distracted. Yesterday I noted things I am thankful for and I would (will and do) repeat the same list today. 

         What are you thankful for?  Today I will be focus on my relationship with God. I will say thank you for making me gay. I will be try to appreciate what it is that it means to be gay and cherish the gift, the perspective and the love of being gay. I will cherish my family who I am graced with and who show me the love of God and who give me the opportunity to share my love, God's love with them.

       Now what's your problem? what's important?

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment