Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Spirit speaking, we are all blessed.


Matthew 5:1-12

          Preachers like to think that they are scintillating speakers and that they touch each one's heart with every word they utter. It just isn't so. I took several courses in preaching in the seminary and have read several books on the subject as well as a course in writing. All of this does not mean I speak or write terribly well. It also doesn't mean I will touch any one's heart or mind when I speak. One thing I do believe is that good preaching is really the Spirit speaking through you as a person. You take your life, your experiences and who you are and allow the Spirit to convey the subject at hand. So if you have all sorts of training and all you wish to do is say what you want to say, you probably will fail miserably. You really need to cooperate, empty yourself and allow yourself to be used by the Spirit.

          One of things that I could not get out of my mind after reading this passage was an interesting reference in the second to last line. The word falsely. Some texts just don't have that word.  So it reads ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you on my account. I don't know how the original text read, what the word was in Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek or even the Latin to which it eventually was translated. I've spoken before about how translational errors pose a large problem to those who wish to take the Bible literally - in English, perhaps the 4th or 5th language it was translated into. I am sure it wasn't done in a haphazard manner but I am sure you see how things could get caught in a translational quagmire.

            So where am I going? I suppose I think the Spirit will lead me and I also think it may have something to do with me being called to rail against the literalist's. But what of this passage itself?

            Many people note how blessed I am. I know that I am incredibly blessed and perhaps I don't even know the half of it. I do take time though to actually think and pray about all the miraculous things in my life and how blessed I am. This is a practice open to all. It's actually pretty easy to do with the eyes of faith and a small amount of appreciation. It takes a thankful heart, a praising heart and eyes and mind raised to God.

             What gets some people in trouble is placing your focus on other people and things. Some focus on how bad their life is and are always saying "woe is me". Others feel the need to judge others in almost everything and in so doing try to convince themselves that they themselves are worthy, if only by default.

            This passage puts a twist on everything by noting some of things in life that may not be considered as blessings to some. These are things you get beaten up for, if not literally, then societally. The meek are weak. Mercy is lost on so many. Hunger is an act of laziness. Peacemakers? Let's send troops or bomb - better yet, send a drone. And all those people who are marginalized, unrepresented and forced by society or laws into dark corners and made to feel less than loved? Well they are the ones Jesus is calling to. Jesus is saying, to them is the victory. They are all blessed in God's eyes.

           Whether or not there is a need to add the word "falsely" into a sentence that may or may not have had it becomes almost irrelevant. This kind of linguistical game only obfuscates the true message which is that we are all blessed and all loved. Be more concerned with praising God for the ways in which you have been blessed. Spend less time, nay, spend no time thinking about others in a derogatory manner simply to try and raise yourself up. Don't bother, God sees all and we are all blessed, all equally loved in God's eyes.



When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment