Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My choice of weapon: love and compassion

Luke 12:4-12

          Several years ago some of the family were heading into the big city by train. At the train station was a sidewalk preacher admonishing anyone who would listen about how much of a sinner they were and to repent. My family, knowing my preaching background were just itching for me to give his cumupings. They were disappointed that I did not take this Bible thumping preacher on. I am not one to do that at will even though I find it a rather poor way to proselytize. That is, telling everyone how bad they are. I would opt for recognition of how much God loves them. Their sins being being between themselves and God, letting them know (if the circumstances presented itself) that God is infinitely loving and compassionate.

               I usually don't do well in spot on debates anyway. I am certainly not the good debating, quick thinking lawyer that my Dad was. For me there is a much better way than planning an attack and reducing someone with verbal assaults.  Not that my Dad did that but he was a good talker. But I digress.

             I don't need to plan. The best ammunition for anyone, the best lessons taught are born of love and compassion. So, my plan is to go on loving and being the best example I can be. Come to think of it, that the best anyone can do. If you are so inclined, study, read and learn as much as you can. In that way when you are questioned or asked to defend yourself there will be no need to plan your words. The truth and knowledge will pour out of you. The Spirit may provide the exact words but the knowledge will be in you. That's what I try to do.

      Rather than pick a fight or start a debate you can win most battles with love and compassion. 

‘I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that can do nothing more. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority* to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight. But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.

‘And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God; but whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, do not worry about how you are to defend yourselves or what you are to say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that very hour what you ought to say.’

No comments:

Post a Comment