Sunday, December 1, 2013

First Sunday of Advent 2013: The Plan


Romans 13:11-14

         It is the first Sunday of Advent. I can't think of preparing for the arrival of the baby Jesus apart from thinking about the arrival of Jesus at the end of time, or perhaps more appropritely, my end time.  In preparing for one we are preapring fr the other.  In fact, I might say that our life is a preparation period for us. I have frequently speak of acheiving wholeness and holiness.

         It was too long ago that I felt asleep to who I was. I felt far less than whole. I knew something was wrong with me instinctively but failed for decades to put all the pieces together. That's a whole other story really. The point is, I was asleep and am now awake. Coming so late in life, that is, coming out out so late in life, I realize a whole range of things and the importance of each. Material goods? not so important. Love of famiy? important. Wholeness and holiness? very important. So the time I have left should be devoted to happiness, wholness and God. 

        To whatever degree we can prepare, we must do so. This is as good a reason as any, and as good , if not the best of seasons to do so. Let's start a plan.  Set aside time NOW to devote to family, to God, to helping others and loving others. Participate. Prepare. 

        Today is the first day of Advent. Make the plan, a simple plan but devote time to God. Church and by loving others and self. Christmas giving, donations, volunteering, praying, being present to family. That is your presence to family with time and attentiveness. Just make it simple and plan. Now is the time.


Besides this, you know what time it is, how it is now the moment for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers;
the night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armor of light; let us live honorably as in the day, not in reveling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarreling and jealousy.
Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment