Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day ! - Unwrapping the gift


Luke 2:1-14, (15-20)

          Yesterday I gave out the last of an array of Christmas gifts at work.  Many of these people have known me for many, many years. They have seen me at some of the highest points of my life and some of the lowest. Through new life and deaths, they probably have as good a snapshot of me as anyone.  With this backdrop I took some by surprise when I started doling out presents. Many simply said thank you and others were embarrassed and perhaps felt uncomfortable that they were not prepared to say "here, this is what I got you". Perhaps I was unfair in being so generous but I explained it has been a wonderful year and I simply have so much to be thankful for, so much joy in my heart that I had to share it. No strings attached.

         I am sure in some small way they treasured my words and pondered them, not so unlike what Mary did in this passage.

         One of the many miracles of this time of year is the ability to connect with the simplicity and joy that is in our hearts, often covered by so many daily concerns and anxieties. Today I noticed on a friends Face book page a picture of some tulip bulbs he had left over from a recent planting. One of the bulbs appeared to be sprouting. The planted bulbs indeed will sprout in spring, perhaps the subject of an Easter sermon. For now, that lone sprouting bulb reminds me, and reminds us, to keep the spirit of Christmas in our hearts now. Don't wait until Easter. Our best shot at peace, love and joy is now.

           The gift of Jesus' incarnation is a present ready to be unwrapped now. It is our humanity that Jesus embraced.  In our humanity we have the capacity for all the most wonderful miracle of Christmas. Love, joy, peace, generosity and hearts filled with fun. These are human capacities that we can feel freely now and it is a gift we should try to make last all year. 

           I know how tough it seems sometimes, I mean the rest of the year. I do remember though how wonderful it feels when my husband comes along with me when I have some place to go, perhaps to a wake or to a meeting or simply to be by my side. The sharing makes it easier, better. Jesus knows this and it is one of the reasons he embraced our humanity. In embracing our humanity he is always with us making life better, peaceful and more joyful all year long, all life long. 

           One of the keys for us is to remember this fact. One of the keys is to listen and ponder as Mary did so long ago about the gift she was being graced with. If we can remember to spend some time, even some small amount of time, pondering and remembering this Christmas message of God, perhaps we'll have a better chance of making the peace, the joy, the love and generosity last all year long.  

          
          

In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered.
This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria.
All went to their own towns to be registered.
Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David.
He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child.
While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child.
And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see--I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people:
to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.
This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger."
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,
"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!"
When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us."
So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger.
When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child;
and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them.
But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart.
The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.

No comments:

Post a Comment