Saturday, December 21, 2013

Advent Day 21 - The gift of creation and eternal salvation


John 14:1-7

          I just finished a book by Dan Savage, another book in a line of books by gay authors or gay themed or about God and being gay. Get the picture?  I tend to focus on the community to which I belong to offer hope all year round even though now is the time we tend to focus on the gift of Jesus and all the wonders that it entails.

           One of the themes' I tend to focus on is the acceptance and expansive embrace of Jesus.  It is evident to me in the passage, in the statement that In my Father’s house there are many dwelling-places. It is evident in the passages of scripture that state there is neither Greek nor Jew, nor slave nor free. Jesus embraced everyone and saw beauty in everyone. Jesus saw the innate goodness in every creation that he himself had a hand in creating. The diversity of God's creation is evident to me without texts as well. God is revealed in his created world. A thorough search of our blue orb shows such diversity and not just sexually. The diversity is awe inspiring and magnificently beautiful, whether you are looking at the animal kingdom or the vast expanses of forests versus desserts, oceans versus teaming ponds or even life that apparently survives and thrives at great depths and at great temperatures in the ocean floor.  What a wonder we live in.

        How could God not love every aspect of the world He created. Let me rephrase that, how could God not love every aspect of the world She created. All of this is gifted to us. We are stewards and benefactors.  

        The icing on the cake is God becoming man so that when the time comes we may have a place in one of God's many rooms. We are all welcome and as we are gifted, we are called to gift, to bestow love and accept others as God does, with dignity and respect.

        


‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.’ Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.’

No comments:

Post a Comment