Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Advent Day 10 - Come as you are.


Matthew 18:12-14

          The news of the world is that Nelson Mandella has died. A massive memorial service is planned in South Africa with the largest array of world dignitaries that has ever assembled.  I do not know much about Nelson Mandela other than the major points of his life. I still remember calling my children into my room to have them watch as Apartheid fell, it was momentous and a hope for all of humanity.  I heard on the radio just this morning a guest extolling his virtues and at the same time noting that he overcome whatever flaws he might have had. He never gave up striving for goodness, forgiveness and never gave up hope. Sounds like a plan to me.

          We are all destined for greatness and I am not talking about our supposed 15 minutes of fame either. Whether this is true or not is a matter of opinion and degree but one thing is certain to me, we are all imperfect beings on a journey to wholeness. No surprise there, I've said it before.  But I would place an accent on our imperfections, whatever they are. Nelson Mandela achieved lofty goals and greatness in spite of whatever shortcomings he had. We too can attain greatness and wholeness. 

         For in spite of getting lost on our journey or taking side trips of questionable value, Jesus still calls us to him and to wholeness and holiness. If we are the lost single sheep, Jesus calls to us by name. Jesus still calls us. We are loved and accepted just as we are.

         Can we accept ourselves just as we are?  Jesus does.

What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment