Saturday, November 9, 2013

Worthy water walkers


Matthew 14:22-36

           I run across quite a variety of people where I work. By most accounts it's a country club of sorts free of bureaucratic nonsense so prevalent in the main facility. The people I work with are truly good people. It pains me though when I see so many of these people with such self doubt and poor opinions of themselves.

            This is what I am thinking of when I read this passage. "You of little faith". Don't you know that while you are not perfect, you were created out of love and I love you more than life itself? I can hear Jesus saying that to any of my coworkers. Jesus says it to me. I am in the unusual position that I listen well, try to keep my eyes open and what I hear and see is astounding. Wonderful people, gifted people, loving people, hurt and broken people.  Hurt and filled with self doubt or guilt. Not a good combination. This combination stands in the way of moving forward, of loving others and most importantly, letting others love you. You need to know how valuable and lovable you are.

             I went on retreat once called a Cursillo where they took great pains to help you realize your self worth. One of the main goals it seemed was to make you realize just how lovable you are. We were even given buttons that said "God don't make junk".  Those were glorious retreats.

             I see how blessed I am with the family I have, the most wonderful husband in the world and a  cat that is beyond compare.  Yet I also see so many in my community, the gay community, alone and seeking their love. They stumble and fall and many relationships just fizzle out or don't have staying power. What I see is genuinely wonderful lovable people who don't see their own worth. They need to hear that they can walk on water. They do NOT need to hear that they are an abomination. They do NOT need to hear that they are intrinsically disordered. This kind of talk is as far from the message of Jesus as we are from the next galaxy.  

             If we are to walk on water, we need to know our own self worth, how lovable each of us really is. We also need to participate in the ministry of Christ by bolstering others opinions of themselves and doing our best to see the beauty in everyone. Not everyone will light the spark in our soul like my husband does for me but when we give and receive love all around without limits we will be able to walk on water and find lasting love because we will know we are worthy of it.

Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land, for the wind was against them. And early in the morning he came walking towards them on the lake. But when the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified, saying, ‘It is a ghost!’ And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, ‘Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.’
Peter answered him, ‘Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.’ He said, ‘Come.’ So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came towards Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, ‘Lord, save me!’ Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, ‘You of little faith, why did you doubt?’ When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshipped him, saying, ‘Truly you are the Son of God.’
When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret. After the people of that place recognized him, they sent word throughout the region and brought all who were sick to him, and begged him that they might touch even the fringe of his cloak; and all who touched it were healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment