Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day


Philippians 4:4-9

          I had occasion to call one of our associated medical offices a few weeks ago and the person I spoke to sensed a calmness in my voice and a uncommon peace that made her feel good. She told me so. I assured her that it was not always so. I also told her that I am very happy and a peace, that I have a great deal to be thankful for.

           I assured her that such peace is readily available without trying to sound preachy in any way. I think she knew where my peace came from without me conveying all the details of my life. For me the journey is essential to where I am now and to where I am going but that is my journey to wholeness. She would find her own. And thus comes thankfulness. I am thankful for every step of my journey, even the missteps. Of course I am thankful for all the material goods I have been graced with. Although I certainly could have more, everyone could wish for more I suppose, I know that "things" can make you life a little nicer in some ways but never give you wholeness of happiness. Still, as I said, I thank God for the gifts he has bestowed on me and has given me  stewardship over. 

           Material things aside, I am thankful for love. That covers a lot of territory because I am that blessed. Family and all that entails from kids and grand kids, to monsieur LeChat and onto the most wonderful husband in the world. But mostly and especially, the love of my creator God who loves me with reckless abandon and has stood by me, walked with me and cried with me. How blessed am I ??

          While you are sitting there relaxing after your thanksgiving day meal, or whatever meal, sit down and relax, make sure you take some quiet time to think of everything you have to be thankful for.  The list is probably more extensive than you think. Perhaps think of your entire life, the twists and turns, where you've been and where you are and don't forget a prayer for where you'd like to be.

        Praise God in all things. Happy Thanksgiving!

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment