Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"Hope will never be silent" -Harvey Milk


Luke 18:35-43

          So I copied down the web link and filled out the papal survey today. I listed myself as a cleric on a permanent leave of absence and as "other" and then typed in "married gay man". Some might be astounded that I went through the trouble and that I had the nerve to fill it out (seeing as I am now a former Catholic). I will not be silenced however. Some may be further annoyed that I dare liken myself ( and the entire gay community ) to the blind man in this passage. 

         Heaven knows there are volumes of ignorant people who seem perfectly willing to say how bad gay people are. They misquote the Bible left and right and have the support of an array of clergy from almost any denomination. But again, I will not be silenced, we will not be silenced.

        I suppose it would be wise to point out something about today's passage. Back in the day, the blind man was considered a sinner or cursed. He must have done something wrong to cause his blindness. If he himself didn't sin, then it was perhaps the results of his parents sins. I don't think there is anyone around today that would consider saying such a thing about a blind person. In fact many of the so called "impure" back in the day are not considered so today. Take leprosy for example. Their idea of leprosy back in the day was much broader than what we know today specifically as Mycobacterium leprae, or leprosy. If a man had a fungal infection he was considered to have leprosy. Psoriasis was leprosy. If the coat you were wearing was made from an animal skin and it had a blemish, it was considered leprosy. Many of the people that they considered anathema was actually based on a lack of knowledge and understanding. Jesus allowed many unclean people to touch him. Jesus had better sense, more knowledge and more compassion. So when the crowds told the blind man to be quiet, Jesus knew better. Jesus had compassion and cured the man. The crowd of Jesus' followers, undoubtedly faithful souls one and all, thought the blind man should not be seen with Jesus, should not approach Jesus and should stay in 'his place'. The blind man would not be silenced.

             Old ideas about being gay are falling fast and furiously on this section of the globe and many others. The fundamental lack of understanding, ignorance and stereotypes are falling to knowledge, loving committed couples and the revelation that being gay is as integral to God's creation as heterosexuality is, just not in equal numbers.

           I will continue to call out to God as I have done my entire life. I strongly believe he will continue to respond to me in a favorable way as he always has.  It was with God's gracious help and patience that I came out. I am sure God looks favourably on the love, commitment and sacramental life that exists between me and my husband in spite of what many believe.

         I say to stand tall and proud in the sight of God, call out, do not be silenced. God loves you and cherishes you just as you are. Just as he/she created you.

35 As he approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. 36When he heard a crowd going by, he asked what was happening. 37They told him, ‘Jesus of Nazareth* is passing by.’ 38Then he shouted, ‘Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!’ 39Those who were in front sternly ordered him to be quiet; but he shouted even more loudly, ‘Son of David, have mercy on me!’ 40Jesus stood still and ordered the man to be brought to him; and when he came near, he asked him, 41‘What do you want me to do for you?’ He said, ‘Lord, let me see again.’ 42Jesus said to him, ‘Receive your sight; your faith has saved you.’ 43Immediately he regained his sight and followed him, glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it, praised God.

No comments:

Post a Comment