Sunday, November 17, 2013

End times and eternal hope.


Luke 21:5-19

          I cannot help but think of all the times I have heard that the world is coming to an end. Sometimes I wonder about people and wish I knew what was going through their mind. It could be any array of circumstances but in the case of religious leaders and prognosticators that predict the end of the world, I really don't care what is going through their minds. I have been around long enough to know that every life is sacred and that being called home can happen in the blink of an eye. It usually does. If the world ends, so be it. Jesus said it was only for the father to know what the date and time was to be for such things.

             What I am interested in is the things that will happen before the end comes. We have seen them all and we see horrible things that have happened to good people. We may pass long before the actual end of the world, I suspect we will. None the less, we see the signs before us as the scripture notes.

              What I could not help but think of was the good people that will be persecuted and handed over. I'm not so sure I believe that literally although it is possible. Good people have been rounded up many times in our history and tortured, killed and extinguished. One need only look to the atrocities of the Catholic church, the Nazis and some Muslim fanatics. That's the short list. We are capable of such horrors in the name of our creator.  But the single act that horrifies me and speaks to my soul today as clearly as it did when it happened was that of  Matthew Sheppard.  Here was an innocent that I identified with on a level I could not understand at the time. It horrified me. A good person who wished only to live a good, decent and loving life,  subjected to ignorance, bullying, beatings and death.   

           As I said, the signs are all there that we are approaching the final age. I am not stupid enough to think it will be soon by our standards but we all see what we as humans are capable of. But here it is, Jesus showed us what humans are capable of as well. Jesus gave us the template. Jesus' life and love may be contorted by some, may be disfigured by some but the essence of his life and love is true and unadulterated by religions. The Spirit sees to it that love will triumph over ignorance, that not even death will have power over us when we die. Jesus' life is the template for heaven on earth and for all eternity. 

           I would take the opportunity to think about the evils of the world and what we can do to stop it. What can we do to transform ignorance into love and knowledge. Are we called to conversion on a large scale or can we simply transform our own parcel of the world, our own circle of friends, coworkers and family. Let us start first within ourselves though and let the light of Christ shine forth for all to see.


When some were speaking about the temple, how it was adorned with beautiful stones and gifts dedicated to God, he said,
"As for these things that you see, the days will come when not one stone will be left upon another; all will be thrown down."
They asked him, "Teacher, when will this be, and what will be the sign that this is about to take place?"
And he said, "Beware that you are not led astray; for many will come in my name and say, 'I am he!' and, 'The time is near!' Do not go after them.
"When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for these things must take place first, but the end will not follow immediately."
Then he said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom;
there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and plagues; and there will be dreadful portents and great signs from heaven.
"But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name.
This will give you an opportunity to testify.
So make up your minds not to prepare your defense in advance;
for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict.
You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, by relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name.
But not a hair of your head will perish.
By your endurance you will gain your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment