Wednesday, October 30, 2013

True to be, you and me.


1 Thessalonians 2:1-8

            Those who know that I am a champion of self deceit, having lied (quite convincingly) to myself for about 50 years that I was straight, will attempt to write about sincerity of heart and truthfulness. There is something very attractive and perhaps mesmerizing about someone who is very at peace with themselves and who has the presence to recognize their own motivations, why they react the way they do and essentially see what is happening in life as it unfolds before them.  I know I miss a great deal and it is only with hindsight that I see as much as I do. I am not one of those people.

            There is one thing that I know I do have and I believe it is very important. That is, sincerity. I may make plunders a plenty but my sincerity and honesty are my salvation. My intentions are good, the follow through, not always so good. There is no pretense or haughtiness. I try to be as true to myself as possible.

              What are you supposed to do? How are you supposed to act?  Paul had presence, surety and intense conviction. He tenderly cared as God does so for us. Perhaps that is the origin of his zeal and his love in his travels. He saw different cultures, different communities, different ways of living and had the ability without lies, deceit or greed to love people purely and profess the love of God for everyone which is the purest love of all. It seems no one escaped his embrace. Christianity flourished.

              We can act in ways that mask the pure love of God that wishes to shine forth from us. We can lie. We can focus on the worldly and what we wear and what we do.  Actions, mask and 'things' do not make us holy, present to the moment or a better you. Self deceit is horrible.

               When we dig deep inside to find out everything we can about who we are and are true to that enormous gift of self from God, we can be all that more present to the moment. We have surety, conviction and are freer to love ourselves and others. I think Paul knew who he was and how much he was loved. I am keenly aware of who I am ( surely not perfect ) and that God loves me. That gives me peace and the ability to love.

           

             

            

You yourselves know, brothers and sisters, that our coming to you was not in vain, but though we had already suffered and been shamefully maltreated at Philippi, as you know, we had courage in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in spite of great opposition. For our appeal does not spring from deceit or impure motives or trickery, but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the message of the gospel, even so we speak, not to please mortals, but to please God who tests our hearts. As you know and as God is our witness, we never came with words of flattery or with a pretext for greed; nor did we seek praise from mortals, whether from you or from others, though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, like a nurse tenderly caring for her own children. So deeply do we care for you that we are determined to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you have become very dear to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment