Saturday, October 12, 2013

Let us first love


1 Corinthians 12:27-13:3


           Is it important that I am gay ?  Of course to me it is. Being gay is a gift and a paradigm if you will, graced to me by God. It is a way in which I have been given to achieve wholeness and fulfill my part of God's plan. It is certainly an integral and joyous part of who I am but it is actually one part of many that makes up who I really am. I have been given many gifts and talents, graced with beautiful Godly people in my life. Being gay then is a huge part of who I am but in the overall schema of things, it is not really that important. How can I say that?

         
           When the new Pope, Francis said "who am I to judge" and explained later that the Roman Catholic church may have an obsession with abortion, being gay, divorce and other hot button issues, he was explaining the message of this passage. That's not to say he will be able to change the course of such an immovable object as the bureaucracy of the Roman Catholic church, the fact remains that I think he actually gets it.

          So what's the point? Many things are important to us. As I said being gay is a way in which I explore, see and express God's love for me and the world. It is one way in which I have found wholeness. That is really important. But what is more important?

           What is the most important thing of all ? Love. Love in all it's myriad aspects and expressions. That is the most important thing. Without love we have nothing, we are nothing. Without love our actions become mindless, almost useless events. Without love, sex becomes mechanical and it would become what has been expressed by some as 'simply for procreation'. With love, sex becomes a gift, an expression, a way to share the gift of yourself, a way to feel the joy of life, to connect with God. A gift designed by God and gifted to us to enjoy, to explore and share.

       But if there is not love, we have nothing.

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.
If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment