Thursday, October 17, 2013

I am who I am, He's got my back ( you are who you are, He's got your back )


Romans 8:35-39

           "I am who I am" is a statement often associated with defiance. A statement that says I make no excuses for my bad behavior, no excuses for the bad decisions I have made. I refuse to repent. I turn my back on God.

           Rather than an act of defiance, "I am who I am" can be a point of knowledge and liberation. It often takes a lifetime but hopefully, prayerfully, you catch a good glimpse of who you are. It is the person God created you to be and seeing yourself, warts and all, free of the disturbances caused by what society wants or what society presses on you. Sometime this will make you seem the rebel. Sometimes you will be odds with society or the religion of your birth. Once you realize who you are, as I say, warts and all, you are free to explore, grow, celebrate and love.

           Who am I? Among other attributes, I am a gay man. I am artistic and emotional. I have the ability to see many facets of a situation. I have great vision. I see things that many others cannot see or do not want to see. I see possibilities. I see God in the air. In creation. In rocks. In foxes and bears. In orchestra and songs. In a hug. In sex. My vision is pretty amazing, eh?  This though is the short list of who I am. But armed with this knowledge I can say "I am who I am".  This is not an apology then but a celebration! of the life God created in me.

         Once I have this knowledge I have the ability to say "I am who I am" no matter how cocky or arrogant that seems. I say it knowing that nothing in this life can separate me from the love of Christ. I may stumble as Christ did on the way of the cross but I can get up knowing His love is still infused in me, loving me, supporting me.

          Once you have this knowledge that God loves you and has given you the gift of life along with the talents and blessings of who you are, nothing in this life can separate you from his love.

           He's got your back.

             

Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,
‘For your sake we are being killed all day long;
   we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.’
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment