Thursday, October 24, 2013

Driving tips


Psalm 37

     Sometimes when I am driving along, something I love to do, I will run across a driver acting badly. These are offenses of commission and omission. Driving way too fast, crossing double lines, merging thoughtlessly when the sign says yield, weaving in and out of traffic with no signals or concern. I have let these infractions, these careless drivers get to me. I am not aggressive myself but it angers me. I have been known to yell at them even though my window are all rolled up.

      I am using this passage as means to look at my own reaction to others and as a metaphor for life.  Where is my trust? In whom do I find consolation and salvation?

      In my life I have experienced the lows and highs of living. Death, illness, the birth of children and grandchildren, true love and earthly joys that mirror heavenly ones, travel, good food and great friends. I have been so wonderfully graced and it should be a constant reminder of what is important and who is actually in control.  Rather than get upset over anything, large or small, I should live my own life as best I can and let God sort out the rest. While this is not a call to abandon activism, far from it, it is a call to let go of the things I cannot change, work fervently for the things I can help with and pray even more fervently for the things I cannot. ( Sounds familiar? thank you Saint Francis ).

       In living a life in this manner, that is, recognizing the gifts I have been graced with and not fretting over the small stuff and the stuff I cannot change, God promises to grace me even more. I cannot fathom what that would be, I have been so graciously blessed already. But graced I am.

       So the challenge in more worldly terms will be what words flow from my mouth the next time someone passes me on the right shoulder because the rest of us are driving too slow. The resolve might be to pay close attention to the road for myself and thank God for the constant assistance and love I am rendered.

      

Of David.
Do not fret because of the wicked;
   do not be envious of wrongdoers,
for they will soon fade like the grass,
   and wither like the green herb. 

Trust in the Lord, and do good;
   so you will live in the land, and enjoy security.
Take delight in the Lord,
   and he will give you the desires of your heart. 

Commit your way to the Lord;
   trust in him, and he will act.
He will make your vindication shine like the light,
   and the justice of your cause like the noonday. 

Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him;
   do not fret over those who prosper in their way,
   over those who carry out evil devices. 

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath.
   Do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For the wicked shall be cut off,
   but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land. 

Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more;
   though you look diligently for their place, they will not be there.
But the meek shall inherit the land,
   and delight in abundant prosperity. 

The wicked plot against the righteous,
   and gnash their teeth at them;
but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
   for he sees that their day is coming. 

The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows
   to bring down the poor and needy,
   to kill those who walk uprightly;
their sword shall enter their own heart,
   and their bows shall be broken. 

Better is a little that the righteous person has
   than the abundance of many wicked.
For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
   but the Lord upholds the righteous. 

The Lord knows the days of the blameless,
   and their heritage will abide for ever;

No comments:

Post a Comment