Thursday, September 26, 2013

An ordinary day


Matthew 6:1-6,16-18

       Ah, to my first experience here with the big black whole in cyberland. Perhaps it's as they say, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Alas I will try again, my first edition of today's blog is God only knows where. Perhaps I merely dreamt I wrote the blog in a pre-caffeinated stupor.

        So here goes. I am presently on vacation. This will serve as notice as to why my entries may seem to appear later in the day. That, and the time zone differences. I am enjoying myself with sleeping in late with my ever so wonderful husband in the second greatest city in the world. We are eating well (bordering on gluttony) and taking in all the sights, both man made (in the city) and of God, usually out in the desert. It seems that in itself would be a good launch point for a blog entry. It may just be percolating as I type. But we are having a great time and by most measures these are not ordinary days. No worry about money, I get to sleep in and spend whole days with my husband, we gamble, bike, hike and as I noted - we eat..... well.

           But life is still 'ordinary' if you will. Each day is an opportunity to appreciate the people of God's creation. People who are placed in my path, who grace my life. People whom I can help, be nice to, pray for, love. It is all a gift from God.  I'm not preaching here on a street corner, that's is not my calling nor am I suited for it.

          I prefer to make today, even on vacation in a spectacular place the same as every other day. No signs of the cross (unless internal), no dovening, no "Praise Jesus!" if I get BlackJack. Just honest attentive living which is what every day should be. That should be our ordinary day, no matter where we are or what we are doing.

          Make every day an 'not so in your face' opportunity to advance on our journey to wholeness, to love others as God loves us. Seize the ordinary day!

‘Beware of practising your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
‘So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
‘And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
‘And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment