Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Transcendant truths


Romans 14:7-12

          My beloved daughter went on a retreat weekend when she was about 16 years old. She returned to give me some incredible insights into life and explained things to me that I marvelled at. It was not that she was a prophetess or such, it is simply that many wonderful things had been revealed to her. I realized it might take me many years to come to the knowledge she had.  I also recognized that some of her own family made fun of her because she was in fact wiser than them. This is the story of the ages. We all receive truths at different times and at different depths. What it took me (at that time) some 30 years to understand she grasped at the ripe age of 16. Of course there are things I grasped when I was 16 years old that she might never come to see. And so life goes for everyone.

          What is truly important? Who is smarter? Who is wiser? Who has more money? Who is Catholic? Who is Muslim? Who is a man? Who is a woman? Who is gay and who is straight? I am rest assured than almost nothing matters more in our core than being a creation of God. This is where we begin and this is where we shall return.  On the most fundamental of levels, that is truth.

            The essence of our existence is in God and God is love. No matter what we do, what we know or who we are, we must love. That is a fundamental truth that transcends anything in this life.

             There will always be someone perceived as greater or lesser than we are. We are not perfect. What we can be sure of is the perfection of love in God and in one another. Strive for purity of heart and love above all else. That will help us perfect who we are and what we are until we head home to our Creator.

          

We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and lived again, so that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God. For it is written,
‘As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
   and every tongue shall give praise to God.’
So then, each of us will be accountable to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment