Tuesday, August 27, 2013

On the journey to wholeness


Psalm 25 7-14

          I am not sure how to say this except to come right out with it. I am a sinner. I have caved to the flesh, perhaps exercised poor judgement at times. Perhaps we all have.  "Who am I to judge?" The lines of good and bad behavior seem to be blurred when you are overcome by the joy of knowing who you  are, out and proud, exploring the gift of sexuality that God gave you.  I am sure however that there are a number of people who feel that I am going to hell in a hand basket. I have sinned and have not sought redemption in the manner in which they think is appropriate. I have not repented, again, in the way they think is appropriate. But, I have arrived at a place in my journey to wholeness. This is a place many have found, the joy of a person that completes them. My husband completes me.  Is this any different than straight people that 'sew their wild oats'?  What people do, as long as it is with consent and respect, I do not find sinful. To revel in God's gifts is not sinful. I believe God smiles at this.

           Back to me. In my mind and heart, I have been on a journey. I still am, as we all are. Yes I have acted in ways that if perceived in black and white terms might send me to hell. But nothing is really black or white and even the most heinous sins are open to redemption and understanding in the Lord's eyes. There is conscience, journey and growth and they are all intertwined it seems to me.

         I would not want anyone to use this information as the basis for a spree of social and moral transgressions to simply say "I am on a journey". Yet, as we struggle with our own createdness, our surroundings and our imperfect choices, we do make decisions that help us go from here to there and grow. Our lives, transgressions included, are a journey to the wholeness God wishes for each and every one of us.

Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
   according to your steadfast love remember me,
   for your goodness’ sake, O Lord! 

Good and upright is the Lord;
   therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in what is right,
   and teaches the humble his way.
All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
   for those who keep his covenant and his decrees. 

For your name’s sake, O Lord,
   pardon my guilt, for it is great.
Who are they that fear the Lord?
   He will teach them the way that they should choose. 

They will abide in prosperity,
   and their children shall possess the land.
The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
   and he makes his covenant known to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment