Monday, July 8, 2013

Nothing good to say


Luke 23:44-56

           It is my sincere hope that someone or even a few people will find this blog enlightening, uplifting or just a reminder of how much God loves them, no matter who they are. I suppose that goal transcends even the fact that I try to appeal primarily to the gay community more than any other.  I always pray I will have something intelligent, enlightening or maybe even astounding to say. I suppose that's hubris.

          Today when I read this passage I really have nothing to note. All I see is people  standing at a distance, waiting and lastly, resting (for it was the sabbath).  Not much going on, just our Savior being buried and I suppose they thought, forgotten or conquered, embarrassed or disillusioned.

           I too have stood at a comfortable distance when many very important things were going on in life. I was too concerned about my own comfort zone to edge forward and meet the challenge. I wish I could say I have conquered that challenge but it is still a problem for me.  It was only by the graces of God and my wonderfully supportive husband that I was able to recently step forward with a beloved friend and voice my love, concern and prayers when he was in time of need. He still is and I pray for him more than daily. 

             So today I have nothing really good to say. Perhaps all I have is that we are called to step forward in love even if it is a challenge for us. I do not pretend to be any better than any one else who fails to step forward. I would really confess to being much worse than most.  So if I have nothing good to say the only thing I will say is I am heartfully sorry for those that I did not stand by in their time of need. Please look down on me with forgiveness. I will strive to do better and break through the barrier of fear and comfort when faced with the uncomfortable, when faced with those in need of my love or mere presence.         

It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, while the sun’s light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.’ Having said this, he breathed his last. When the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God and said, ‘Certainly this man was innocent.’ And when all the crowds who had gathered there for this spectacle saw what had taken place, they returned home, beating their breasts. But all his acquaintances, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.
Now there was a good and righteous man named Joseph, who, though a member of the council, had not agreed to their plan and action. He came from the Jewish town of Arimathea, and he was waiting expectantly for the kingdom of God. This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then he took it down, wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid it in a rock-hewn tomb where no one had ever been laid. It was the day of Preparation, and the sabbath was beginning. The women who had come with him from Galilee followed, and they saw the tomb and how his body was laid. Then they returned, and prepared spices and ointments.
On the sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

No comments:

Post a Comment