Friday, June 14, 2013

What of the men? Men and Women's equality


Matthew 5:27-32

          The obvious target of a meditation for today might be literalism. Are we really to cut out our eye if we look at someone in an appreciative if not lustful way? Like I said, that is the obvious. I always argue against such literal tripe to get at the meat of the message. So after much thought, I realized there is a much deeper hidden message or agenda here.  What of the men?

          Although this passage argues against divorce which seems to escape some of our literalistic, conservative, religious zealot brothers and sisters, it also points to a cultural norm of the time that I'd like to pick up on. Again, 'what of the men?'

          It would appear that divorce is allowed if the woman was unfaithful. There are norms for women but not for men. In a time when this kind of social construct was acceptable, a male dominated society, there really would be no impunity for men. In the times that most of the Christian scriptures were written, men were not even required to abstain from same sex relationships. The references in scripture are against same sex prostitution with underage male children. Even that line would seem blurred a bit though and the only real taboo was not to be on the receiving end so to speak. That would place you in an apparently degrading, feminine role. Otherwise same sex relationships were not taboo.

           Most restrictions were placed on women or womanly roles.  Men were pretty much free to go about at will. When we think of the Religious (Jewish) leaders that brought a woman caught in the act of adultery before Jesus, I ask, where is the man who obviously was also caught in the act? Men seem to live pretty good lives. Even today when we encourage women to pursue their professional careers as well as motherhood, women bear a disproportionate responsibility around the house. As if to say, pursue your personal professional goals as long as you do the house work first. That is bogus in the worst way.

          When we acknowledge equality, it is for all people and all sexes and everything in between. We are smart enough. We can see what is moral and what is not. We are more capable and hopefully a bit more enlightened than people were at the time of Christ and before.

           I have always argued strongly for women's rights. I believe I have instilled that in my daughter and I am also proud of my daughter in law, a professional and soon to be mom as well. But in the same breath that I speak out about women's lib, I also speak of men's liberation. That would argue the full breath and depth of the possibilities and responsibilities for men as well. In a simplistic view, men can be nurses and be stay at home dads. However, we must not have to ask the question 'what of the men?' Men must be equally responsible and standards for one should be a standard for all.

            I am blessed to be the man God made me to be. I am blessed to have a truly wonderful man as my soul mate, partner and husband. I will not abdicate my responsibility in any avenue I have to express it, that men must not have the dominant role in God's plan of salvation for his Creation. 

‘You have heard that it was said, “You shall not commit adultery.” But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to go into hell.
‘It was also said, “Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.” But I say to you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

No comments:

Post a Comment