Thursday, May 9, 2013

Stand by me


Matthew 28:16-20

           Did you ever make note of how differently people act in different situations? Kids will act one way in front of their parents or teachers and another way when they are alone with their friends. Many adults are the same way, they act differently in different situations.  I would think I might act differently in the presence of our President. I certainly would be on my best behaviour if Jesus was in the room. It is a true blessing for anyone who has the peace and surety to be themselves always at all times. What gives you such inner peace?

             For one thing, it might be knowing your own value. Another might be knowing in every fiber of your being that you are loved. In this passage, Jesus says "I am with you always". If we truly believe that, I think we would act differently at least some of the time. It wouldn't be because we are afraid to be ourselves. It wouldn't be that we'd always be on guard because you know who is with me. I suspect the assurance that we are loved and the knowledge that He is always with us is transformational. The surety that allows someone to be a peace is from knowing they are loved, know they have value and know that God is with them always.

            Perhaps for today, try to realize that at any given moment, God is there with you. Remember that He has a good sense of humour and loves to laugh. Remember he's holding you when something goes wrong. Remember he is along side you as you do even mundane tasks and interact with people that are not perhaps as aware as you are that they have worth, are loved and are living in the presence of God because "I am with you always".

           Just for today perhaps, hopefully know for every moment and for all time, that you are special, you are loved and that God stands with you wherever you are.

           

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’

1 comment:

  1. This really resonated with me. A year ago I got married. And I always feel my husband is with me even when we are apart. This brings me an incredible feeling of calmness and security.

    ReplyDelete