Thursday, March 21, 2013

Words are cheap


John 10:19-42

     As  it goes with any religion and any person, the truth of their heart is shown in their actions. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, Preach the Gospel at all times, if necessary use words.

     In this passage, Jesus notes that he told the people, he showed the people, what more could they ask for? It seems they would much prefer a simple declaratory sentence that he is in fact the messiah. Jesus knew though that words really are cheap, even in his own day. What counts are the actions behind the words. In fact, if your actions are true, no words are really necessary.

      A standard example are those that attend Mass, say all the prayers, receive communion and then forgo any post Eucharistic mediation and prayer so they can run out and get to their cars fast. Heaven forbid they might have to let someone out first or be gracious as someone is walking through the parking lot.

      One of my favorite stories is a fowl mouthed, screaming supervisor at work. She yelled, cursed and berated her employees. I simply took note. The next time I saw her, she was robed up and singing angelically in the choir. If someone could have only caught the caption on my face. Of course that is really very judgemental of me. Lord knows how often I meditated in the morning before work only to wind up barking at someone who comes to my window looking for assistance.

    We may all have good intentions. We may all profess to be faithful. In the end, and I mean the very end (as in the pearly gates), we will be judged on our actions. Our action and inaction are what will convict us or save us. Our actions are a true profession. Words are still come cheap it seams.

Again the Jews were divided because of these words. Many of them were saying, ‘He has a demon and is out of his mind. Why listen to him?’ Others were saying, ‘These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?’
At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, ‘How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.’ Jesus answered, ‘I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.’
The Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus replied, ‘I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?’ The Jews answered, ‘It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God.’ Jesus answered, ‘Is it not written in your law, “I said, you are gods”? If those to whom the word of God came were called “gods”—and the scripture cannot be annulled— can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, “I am God’s Son”? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.’ Then they tried to arrest him again, but he escaped from their hands.
He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing earlier, and he remained there. Many came to him, and they were saying, ‘John performed no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.’ And many believed in him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment