Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lies and damn lies



Daniel 4:28-37

          You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. Lies are an insidious thing. Beside being plain wrong, they have some kind of hypnotic power on us. That is, if you tells lies enough you actually start to believe them and you become almost incapable of discerning what is real (truth) and what is false (lies). That is the slippery slope.

          Of course we all lie from time to time. We even categorize them, whoppers, white lies, fibs, bold face lies. I am sure we can get away with telling a lie here or there based on frequency and perhaps intention. I recall my mother asking me once where I got the delicious recipe for fruit salad. Knowing the ill feeling between my mom and my step-mother, I lied and said the recipe was from a coworker when it really came from my step-mom. I never did tell my mom the truth. In my mind that's a minor lie, one that I got away with.

          We can get away with many lies in life. There is a kind of ribbing or telling of a tall tale that are lies. Perhaps they are not even a good idea but it is fun. I am told by an expert that the success of telling such tales is making up convincing and supportive authoritative data (lies) with a straight face. 

          The worst of all lies though is , as I have said, the lies to ourselves. When we make ourselves the center of the universe as Nebuchadnezzar did.  But truth be told, any self lie is dangerous. How about the lie "I'm not gay" ( I just like to.....you fill in the blank ). Almost any lie that keeps you in the closet is evil. And again, if you tell the lie long enough you begin to believe it. 

         I encouraged everyone to spend Lent to get in touch with their humanity, to acknowledge who they are. I know I noted that it may take some tough self assessment and brutal honesty. The alternative is living a lie which renders you useless to anyone you wish to have a meaningful relationship with - be that another human, gay or straight and perhaps most importantly, your creator. 

        Brutal honesty with others can be mean spirited, painful and risky. This is where a certain amount of maturity and empathy comes in. You  really have to know who you are talking to.  Telling your lover they have morning breath is not the same as telling a stranger that they smell like a pig. Saying "i am just being honest" is a bit disingenuous at best.

         Truth and lies can get complicated in real life but the most dangerous lies are lies to self and God. 

All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. At the end of twelve months he was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, and the king said, ‘Is this not magnificent Babylon, which I have built as a royal capital by my mighty power and for my glorious majesty?’ While the words were still in the king’s mouth, a voice came from heaven: ‘O King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is declared: The kingdom has departed from you! You shall be driven away from human society, and your dwelling shall be with the animals of the field. You shall be made to eat grass like oxen, and seven times shall pass over you, until you have learned that the Most High has sovereignty over the kingdom of mortals and gives it to whom he will.’ Immediately the sentence was fulfilled against Nebuchadnezzar. He was driven away from human society, ate grass like oxen, and his body was bathed with the dew of heaven, until his hair grew as long as eagles’ feathers and his nails became like birds’ claws.
When that period was over, I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me.
I blessed the Most High,
   and praised and honoured the one who lives for ever.
For his sovereignty is an everlasting sovereignty,
   and his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing,
   and he does what he wills with the host of heaven
   and the inhabitants of the earth.
There is no one who can stay his hand
   or say to him, ‘What are you doing?’
At that time my reason returned to me; and my majesty and splendour were restored to me for the glory of my kingdom. My counsellors and my lords sought me out, I was re-established over my kingdom, and still more greatness was added to me. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honour the King of heaven,
for all his works are truth,
   and his ways are justice;
and he is able to bring low
   those who walk in pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment