Saturday, March 16, 2013

Nothing to prove


John 6:16-21

          I was speaking with a colleague yesterday and the subject came up about how arrogant another coworker was. My colleague also noted that there was a newer staff member, who came with very high credentials and was heading a large new program that was exactly the opposite. This new man was humble, friendly and inclusive. There were no pretensions. My colleague noted that it is often the case that someone who has accomplished a great deal has no 'arrogance factor' because they feel no need to prove anything.

           It is a very peaceful and wonderful feeling not to have to prove anything. I don't want to have to justify myself every time I say that I am gay. Self assurance and joy are really all I try to exude. I am a big bald man so I don't know how approachable I seem but people who have met me say I am always friendly and upbeat. Why is that ?  I am not at the pinnacle of my profession. I have not achieved great things (in the eyes of the world).

           When Jesus came to the boat, calmness came. It is a good metaphor for what happens to anyone when they acknowledge God in their lives. Jesus has the most enormous transformative power in our lives.  There is a calmness, a self assuredness, a peace like nothing else. No worldly belongings, achievements or title can give us such peace.

            When we meet Jesus we realize we have nothing to prove. We are a beautiful, loved creation of God. End of story.

           

When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, got into a boat, and started across the lake to Capernaum. It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The lake became rough because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the lake and coming near the boat, and they were terrified. But he said to them, ‘It is I; do not be afraid.’ Then they wanted to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the land towards which they were going.

No comments:

Post a Comment