Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Belt it out Beulah.


Psalm 46

        When I was a youth my neighbors told me they loved to see me walking along because I was invariably singing one tune or another. I was a happy child. I still do that and often it's something that is created right out of my joyful heart. The words just come to me. I am a very happy man. I do have a song in my heart.

         When I read this passage, psalm 46, I am reminded of a song sung by the Monks of the Weston Priory. Though the mountains may fall and the hills tirn to dust, the love of the Lord will stand..
It seems to me that songs are a universal way to express the many aspects of human life, joys, sadness, love and worship. Perhaps all song are a form of raising our hearts to God, whether that's the psalms put to music, love songs or even a country blues song. We are raising our inner spirit and our hearts and it becomes a prayer. It could be a prayer of praise or a prayer of thanks or a prayer of lament.

           I think this is shown no more effectively than when Dolores Van Cartier, the cabaret Diva from  Sister Act makes contemporary hit songs into songs of worship. Singing is so integral to our lives, our spirit.  No one should ever deny the voice within them from coming out. Belt it loud sisters and brothers!  There is a joke that my husbands voice makes our cat think he has done something wrong. That's al wrong. I have known people whose voices seem absolutely tortured as they sing in church. But you know what? All voices may not be created equal but they convey the same essence, the same spirit of joy and love. So belt it out there. Give God back in the voice he gave you.  I am sure God loves to hear from you.

     A singing voice of praise and love - another way to become more human this Lent, another way to commune with our God.

          
          


To the leader. Of the Korahites. According to Alamoth. A Song.
God is our refuge and strength,
   a very present  help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
   though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
   though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
          Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
   the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of the city;  it shall not be moved;
   God will help it when the morning dawns.
The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter;
   he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;

No comments:

Post a Comment