Friday, February 22, 2013

Forgiveness


Matthew 5:20-26

          I'd have to say that forgiveness is one of the toughest things we are called to do. But called we all are. I think no matter how I may have been harmed, wronged or maligned, it can't be all that bad - not as bad as being nailed to a cross.  First, you could drive yourself into a frenzy if you constantly wondered what people are actually saying about you or doing. It's hard enough to keep track of what I am doing. I know I have a good heart but I still make stupid mistakes. I still make wrong choices. I'm not perfect. Can I expect everyone else to be? When I say that God loves everyone else at least as much as he loves me, won't he also forgive everyone else as much as he forgives me?

              There is a great feeling of joy, lightness, inner peace if you will, when you feel forgiven by God. That must include of course forgiving yourself. And the extension is to forgive others.

              I've heard the expression "I forgive but I do not forget". That is not true forgiveness. It seems to me that type of 'forgiveness' is shallow. It's like letting go of the guilt trip suitcase but allowing a handbag to rattle around in your head.  You may say someone is forgiven but you would always be holding back a part of you that opens yourself up to having it happen again.  Perhaps that's where the 'not forgetting' comes in. But for forgiveness to be real it must be total like how God forgives us. God never stops loving us and is always placing himself at our disposal at the risk of us hurting him again.

               When Peter denied our Lord three times, Jesus forgave him and placed him at the head of the church. When Jesus was on the cross in agony he mustered the strength and character to say "forgive them Father for they know not what they do".

             Can we forgive others as God forgives us? Perhaps not, but it is humanly possibly as Jesus showed us. It just is not easy at times.  Yet another thing to reflect on this Lent.

          


For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
‘You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not murder”; and “whoever murders shall be liable to judgement.” But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, “You fool”, you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court* with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment