Sunday, February 10, 2013

Be bold !

2 Corinthians 3:12-4:2

             Someone may say they are the greatest at something and if it's true, it's not being conceited, it's just stating a fact.  Well, I don't think we can be the greatest at anything really. But can we say we are really good at something, or great at something and not be conceited if it's true?  I suppose there is a fine line between self assured and being arrogant.  I think we all like to be self assured, maybe even a bit cocky.

             That fine line is difficult to straddle when you are so self assured. I can't help but think of the exuberance and energy of a born again christian , a recovering alcoholic or someone who has quit smoking. I myself was that way many, many years ago after coming off a retreat weekend called a Christian Awakening ( "CA" and also called a Cursillo ). I was on fire. In fact I believe that was the retreat weekend that helped me to realize, to be convinced and know in every fiber of my being that God loves me unconditionally and forever. That's not to say I haven't made many mistakes and committed a my share of sins along the way but I know, I absolutely KNOW that God loves me. That's where my exuberance came from after that weekend. I was self assured at least about that. I had hope, I acted with boldness.  It often comes off as cocky and arrogant but I think I have toned it down a bit. I have never lost that feeling. It is what helped me through the emotional roller coaster of coming out.

               I've spoken about owning up to who you are. I have spoken about accepting who you are. I have spoken about how difficult that can be, especially if you are gay. We are filled with years of self doubt, self loathing and voices that told us gays were sinners, immoral and certainly going to hell.

               So when you come to that epiphany that you are gay (perhaps you knew it all along) and you come to the point of coming out and being proud; when you further realize, Hey, God made me this way and God really loves me! , well , that is a watershed moment in your life. It energizes you, it makes you feel fantastic! I think this is where the power of so many gay people comes from. They are out and proud! Of course. You are accepting who you are. You know you were created this way. Hopefully, you realize that God loves you this way too because God made you this way for a reason.  It's time to celebrate it.

              This energy, (out and proud!) is very similar to the energies I spoke of initially, the born again Christian who realizes how much God loves them. This kind of energy is frightening to some, it is powerful. It's a force to be reckoned with. If the gay community has anything else it is that energy.

              So, be bold, be gay. Take it easy with the power of the love and person you've been given.

         



Since, then, we have such a hope, we act with great boldness,
not like Moses, who put a veil over his face to keep the people of Israel from gazing at the end of the glory that was being set aside.
But their minds were hardened. Indeed, to this very day, when they hear the reading of the old covenant, that same veil is still there, since only in Christ is it set aside.
Indeed, to this very day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their minds;
but when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed.
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
And all of us, with unveiled faces, seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord, the Spirit.
Therefore, since it is by God's mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart.
We have renounced the shameful things that one hides; we refuse to practice cunning or to falsify God's word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to the conscience of everyone in the sight of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment