Saturday, January 26, 2013

We have the power


John 8:51-59

          When I think of this reading many images pass through my mind. One actually is the Arab Spring. The arrogance of some people, so called leaders, that seem to be convinced that they are the country they lead. It would appear that they feel the country would be nothing without them. They forget about the people, the people are the country.

          The same goes for the church leaders in this passage and perhaps even the church leaders of today. While God may have given them  the grace and trust to lead and shepherd, there is a line that is crossed in elevating yourself to God's level or saying that what you say is God's words or thoughts. That is, they begin to think that what they say actually is God's word and that everything they say believe and say is straight from God. Everyone is on a journey to wholeness and it includes every church leader that ever walked the earth.
     
           It must have been shocking for Jesus to announce that "I am", that biblical expression that denotes  I am God. It must be frustrating and humbling for church leaders and political leaders alike to find out that they are not in fact the pinnacle of power, they are not the omniscient one.

             While some are in fact leaders and entrusted with more, we all have a role to play in the salvation story. That does not necessarily mean that we are to be obedient Christian soldiers devoid of any thought of our own or ability to have our own vision and piece to the plan of God's love for the world.

          We are all God's children, equally loved, each an integral part of the world, each one to be respected and loved, each with a piece of the puzzle.  In this regard the vision of church is more like a wagon wheel with us all on the same playing field as opposed to the idea of a Pyramid where God (who indeed is far above us) but then it filters down to Pope, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, Men and then women. That image should be eradicated. Perhaps another analogy would be that if God is al around us, we are all equally accessible to him by virtue of our existence on this round but essentially flat surface.  

           The power, wisdom and love of God is in us all. The answers are all within us all. This is the concept of sensus fidelium and the role of conscience. What we all need to do is recognize our own Godliness and power to love, granted us by our creator.          


Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.’ The Jews said to him, ‘Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and so did the prophets; yet you say, “Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.” Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?’ Jesus answered, ‘If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, “He is our God”, though you do not know him. But I know him; if I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him and I keep his word. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and was glad.’ Then the Jews said to him, ‘You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?’Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.’ So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment