Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's God's will Maria..



Psalm 91:9-16

             I am of fervent conviction that the Lord is with us always and that his strength sustains us in all things. I may seem to say that as if I am blissfully happy (which I am) because nothing bad has ever fallen my way. The fact is a great many things have happened in my life that could be judged traumatic, and sad at best. Witnessing your Mothers attempt at suicide? Discovering your mother after she's had a stroke? Watching your mothers hospitalization and resultant nursing home care for years? (it was no great shake for her either needless to say). How about discovering one's father who's had a heart attack and you try CPR on him in vain. That's been my life. I also of course had the heart wrenching transformation many of us have had trying to come to terms with our sexuality. Coming out gay at 50 isn't a breeze either. I almost sound like Job don't I? 

               I only mention all this to show I am not some pie in the sky, clueless person who looks at every problem or event in life and say "Oh, it's God's will" or "it's all for the best". Serious crap happens and it falls all around. And note, I didn't look at my Dad and say, "it's God's will", I jumped in and started CPR. 

               What makes all things bearable, through all the loneliness, life's traumas and missteps is that God is there by my side. God is there by your side. He doesn't make this stuff happen but he's right along side us (if not carrying us) when it does happen. Think of that great story of the footprints in the sand. 

                Please understand, God is not an life insurance policy. Neither guaranteeing safe passage in this life or even on to the next. But God understands all and God has felt what we feel and God is there like no one else can.

            Trust in God in all things.

            And by the way, whatever has happened in my life that seems bad, it pales in comparison to the joy in my life. That would the subject of a 30 page blog entry. Page after page of joy. 


Because you have made the Lord your refuge,
the Most High your dwelling-place, 
no evil shall befall you,
no scourge come near your tent. 

For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder,
the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot. 

Those who love me, I will deliver;
I will protect those who know my name.
When they call to me, I will answer them;
I will be with them in trouble,
I will rescue them and honour them.
With long life I will satisfy them,
   and show them my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment