Monday, January 7, 2013

Gay heritage


Psalm 2

           When I was in the process of realizing what was probably known to many, I was in sad shape. On the advice of a friend ( now husband ) and with the help of my spiritual director, I went into therapy. As with spiritual direction, honesty with your guide is crucial. The moment that I was able to utter the words "I am gay" and hear it with my own ears, the flood gates opened. The power in professing who you are, especially to yourself is enormous. It has great import and has great power.

          It seems that as a community and individuals, gays have been getting the short end of the stick. Communities, religions and governments have conspired to demean us. We have been told we are sinners. We had been forced to lurk in the shadows far from light.  Never conceiving the thought that we could love and live in committed relationships we  were forced into makeshift and often transitory relationships that only served to fulfill the prophesy that the outside world laid on us. With the dawn of books and into the dawn of the electronic age we came to know we were not alone. A minority perhaps but we began to realize that we too are created in God's image. We too are a part of God's beautiful, expansive and diverse world. Being a minority does not limit your capacity to love and it does not make loving wrong. In fact loving and sexuality are a part of all of God's creations. To express it is natural and divine. 

          What we need to do as individuals is to say I AM the son  (daughter) of God.  I am gay and He created me so, to love in his image and to live in his image. That is the loving image that Christ exemplified and showed us as he walked the earth as one of us.

          Burst forth creation of God. Claim your heritage. Love, sweet love.

           

           


Why do the nations conspire,
   and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth set themselves,
   and the rulers take counsel together,
   against the Lord and his anointed, saying,
‘Let us burst their bonds asunder,
   and cast their cords from us.’ 

He who sits in the heavens laughs;
   the Lord has them in derision.
Then he will speak to them in his wrath,
   and terrify them in his fury, saying,
‘I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill.’ 

I will tell of the decree of the Lord:
He said to me, ‘You are my son;
   today I have begotten you.
Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage,
   and the ends of the earth your possession.
You shall break them with a rod of iron,
   and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.’ 

Now therefore, O kings, be wise;
   be warned, O rulers of the earth.
Serve the Lord with fear,
   with trembling 12kiss his feet,*
or he will be angry, and you will perish in the way;
   for his wrath is quickly kindled. 

Happy are all who take refuge in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment