Thursday, January 10, 2013

A biblical gay love story


Psalm 138

           There is a song by Wham! called Turn a different corner. and it's quite true. It says,  "turn a different corner and we never would have met". You just never know. I am sure that's how Jonathan and David felt, a scripture passage from the Hebrew scriptures (1Samuel 20) which I used in our own wedding ceremony. We know that translations vary but one thing is for sure, this was pretty steamy and the love between Jonathan and David was at first sight. I imagine neither was on the prowl, on the DL or cruising. They 'turned that different corner' and there was the love of each others' life. A prayer answered. Not unlike my husband and me.

            This scripture passage doesn't say "thanks for nothing, where's my love God"?  There is genuine love, thanks and praise in what the psalmist has written down, that's when his prayers are answered.

           Many people would lament that they do not have what they want and look forward to the day things will change. Nirvana will be reached when X happens or they finally meet Mr. Right. That seems like the recipe for a long, lonely existence.

            When I began to date, wow, that sounds funny even now. Anyway, I would go out with anyone and enjoyed their company, enjoyed the newness and the revelled in the variety of people I met. I can't help but think that the dating actually was enriching. I learned from it, grew from it and made a few new friends along the way. It was living.

          I was blessed to be able to find the man of my dreams and we are still living in love and thanksgiving.  My point is this, our lives, our journey to wholeness and one's happiness with anyone always begins with self , God and moving forward. It's not waiting for something to happen. It's moving forward, enjoying the journey and seeing where you go. If you decide where you are going it's a bit like playing God. And because we are not God, the goal we reach, whatever it is, will never be fully realized and we will be disappointed in some way.

           Better we  should love freely, give thanks to God and enjoy the journey. You never know when you will turn a different corner and meet that someone who completes you.

            



I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
   before the gods I sing your praise;
I bow down towards your holy temple
   and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness;
   for you have exalted your name and your word
   above everything.
On the day I called, you answered me,
   you increased my strength of soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment