Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advent day 17


Matthew 1:18-25          Advent day 17

             I don't know much about Angels but I have often called my daughter Seraphim (Sarah) and I know through some interventions that my Guardian Angel is Raphael. I discovered that while using  a Pocketful of Miracles as a year long meditation guide. Other than that though, angels are somewhat of a mystery to me and  while I know they exist, I am loath to have ever seen one or been visited by one (that I am aware of).

              Consequently I am a bit of a skeptic when I read a story of Joseph being visited by an angel that tells him not to divorce Mary and that he will be the stepfather so to speak, of our savior, Jesus.

               What I do find in this story is the dilemma and opportunity we have every day of our life. We see things we should do and often don't.  I am sure Joseph's buddies (assuming he had some) would have told him to 86 the 'virgin' as fast as you can and find an nice untouched Jewish girl. Perhaps any one of us would have said the same thing. Yes, that would be the easy thing to do, perhaps the most practical. 

              Is the right thing always easy or practical?  Sometimes those are the hardest questions.

              It might have been easier for myself had I remained married as a gay man once I realized I was gay. Many (many) men do. I also see Clergy living double lives all the time, often only discovered after they die and a wife shows up or is mentioned in a will along with a child or two and a separate home. And of course there are a great deal of clergy members who are gay. Leading double lives for gay men boarders on cliche, or at least it used to be. No, the more difficult thing for me to do, which potentially put me at odds with my family which includes a daughter and son was to be honest with everyone so that everyone could move forward with their lives. My decision was certainly impractical for my ministry. I am squarely at odds with my church and I am anathema to everyone I know (or knew). The point is that sometimes it would be easier to live a lie or stay in a closet.

               The more difficult thing to do often is not the most practical but it is almost always it is the right thing to do. As Christmas draws near and we are given this fine example of how Joseph handled a thorny issue (with the help of an angel), let us think about making our own impractical decisions that should be made.  It could be coming out of the closet or acknowledging you are gay. That may be impractical but it is a great gift to yourself and to God ( for acknowledging whom he made you to be ).
It also might be impractical or difficult to re-open lines of communication with someone that has wronged you. But in your faithful loving heart that's what you know you should do. I'll let you come up with more ideas for your own life.

                In the meantime, know there are angels watching over us, helping us.  Always tried to do what is right, not necessarily what the world would say is practical.


This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about.
When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph,
but before they lived together,
she was found with child through the Holy Spirit.
Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man,
yet unwilling to expose her to shame,
decided to divorce her quietly.
Such was his intention when, behold,
the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said,
"Joseph, son of David,
do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home.
For it is through the Holy Spirit
that this child has been conceived in her.
She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus,
because he will save his people from their sins."
All this took place to fulfill
what the Lord had said through the prophet:

Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son,
and they shall name him Emmanuel,

which means "God is with us."
When Joseph awoke,
he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him
and took his wife into his home.
He had no relations with her until she bore a son,
and he named him Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment