Thursday, December 13, 2012

Advent day 12

John 15:5-11          Advent day 12

         If you abide in Him, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. Sounds pretty neat.  How many times though have you asked and not received? How do we rationalize that? God answers all prayers but not necessarily the way we want?  I've heard that before.  Then there is the notion that God gives you what you need, not necessarily what you ask for.

         Truth be told there is a caveat in that reading from scripture and it is this: IF you abide in me. The question is then, do we abide in Him, the one who created us, loves us and wishes us to be the whole beautiful being we were meant to be? What do you suspect stands in our way to completely abide in His love and in His word?  A great deal of the problem is us focusing more on the small unimportant details of life. We focus too much on the icing and not on the cake. Cars, houses, toys, work, boats, games, phones, other people business and so on, and so on.

          We may mouth that we are believers and say we are faithful but are we? When the time comes, do we whip out our faith and ask God for what we want as if He is some kind of insurance policy?

         Admittedly, this is probably one of the most difficult times of the year to focus on God and a real relationship with him. However, the contrast between God and the frills, presents and the hectic world is much clearer and the rewards for abiding in Him is all that much sweeter and and that much more rewarding at this time of year.

          Time is passing quickly, Christmas is less than 2 weeks away. Make the time, abide in Him.


I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment