Thursday, December 20, 2012

Advent day 19


Isaiah 7:10-14          Advent day 19

          Last evening I had the pleasure of attending a prayer meeting. One of the things we discussed was about waiting. I had to confess that I didn't feel I had much experience with waiting. I suppose I could look at life and see times that I have waited but as life progressed I did not look at it as waiting. I could say I waited my whole life to come out but the truth is I lived as good and as decent a life as I could not realizing I was gay. I simply tried to live as a good person.  I could also lament 'waiting' for my husband or waiting to the day we got married. Here too, my husband was a gift from God that I perhaps was waiting for in some nebulous way of a happiness and wholeness I had not fully known but  had I met him earlier in life, our relationship would not be what it is today. And as for getting married, we already felt like we were married in the eyes of God, it was the ability to acknowledge that in the law that was waiting for us.

           So waiting represents something I certainly will be thinking about. It is in this vein that I cannot help but think of Isaiah who prophesied many centuries before the birth of Jesus. If Isaiah was waiting for the virgin to conceive and bear a son, he would seem to have waited in vain for his own life ended long before the birth of Jesus. Still God is faithful and loving and on Dec. 25th we celebrate this joyous gift to mankind, the birth of our savior, Jesus. This, oh, about 8 centuries after the prophesy was made. And to think I had been amazed that St. Monica prayed for a mere 30 years for the conversion of her son before it happened.

        It would appear that while God is faithful and loving, we are reminded that our time is not God's time.  Sometimes we will have to wait in our time, perhaps never knowing the answer to things we pray for or hope for. Perhaps we will experience a great aha moment when we die and hopefully catch a glimpse of all that God sees.

    In any event, I will suggest  two things. One, we should be incredibly thankful for the gift of love that God bestows on us. Be thankful for creating us as such a wonderful and unique person. Let us open and embrace our gift. Second, while we may not get the answer to some of our questions or wishes, we need to simply live good and decent lives while we are 'waiting'. Our lives need to be reflective of our faith, reflective of the goodness and Godliness that is an integral part of us. So, even if we are waiting for something, it is time well spent and a life God will beam over.

        Shine on my little star, you are loved!




The LORD spoke to Ahaz:
Ask for a sign from the LORD, your God;
let it be deep as the nether world, or high as the sky!
But Ahaz answered,
"I will not ask! I will not tempt the LORD!"
Then Isaiah said:
Listen, O house of David!
Is it not enough for you to weary men,
must you also weary my God?
Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign:
the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and shall name him Emmanuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment