Sunday, November 18, 2012

Some men are born to live at ease


Philippians 3:13-4:1
          Some men are born to live at ease...

           Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on towards the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind; and if you think differently about anything, this too God will reveal to you. Only let us hold fast to what we have attained.
Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us. For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ; I have often told you of them, and now I tell you even with tears. Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their glory is in their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. He will transform the body of our humiliation so that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that also enables him to make all things subject to himself.
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved.

          Like any self respecting gay man, I read or hear something and immediately a Broadway show tune comes to mind or worse, out of my mouth. Today is no different so this is what comes from this scripture passage. It's actually is a song from the fantastic show Godspel and here are a few lines, I hope you know the melody because it's a great song:

                       Some men are born to live at ease, doing what they please,
                       Richer than the bees are in honey
                       Never growing old, never feeling cold
                       Pulling pots of gold from thin air
                       The best in every town, best at shaking down
                       Best at making mountains of money
                       They can't take it with them, but what do they care?
                       They get the center of the meat, cushions on the seat
                       Houses on the street where it's sunny..
                       Summers at the sea, winters warm and free
                      All of this and we get the rest...
                      But who is the land for? the sun and the sand for?
                      You guessed! It's all for the best...
         
         The song tells a great story of people who seem to have it all. I don't think I have all the answers by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, I have a spectacular life. I am overjoyed that I have been blessed with the love of a great man, an extraordinary cat, have wonderful children who are married to wonderful people and there is nothing that I want for. However, I am under no illusion that I possess the wisdom of the ages, have unshakable faith or that I have all the luxuries a person is supposed to want. I am a work in progress and I think we all are.  Our journey to wholeness may begin with acknowledging who we are and living a good and decent life but the journey to wholeness last our entire lives. 

         So this is what I preach: self acceptance and pride in who God made you. I preach to not keep focused on the past, learn from it and grow. I preach to not be arrogant that what you know is always right or that you have the whole picture. I preach humility, love and generosity. And lastly (for today), I preach that we should enjoy the journey we are on today and not worry so much about tomorrow. Tomorrow may not be there and our only opportunity to grow, to love is today.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment