Friday, October 19, 2012

of squirrels, deer, nature and man


Luke 12:1-7

         In the meantime, when so many thousands of the multitude had gathered together that they trod upon one another, he began to say to his disciples first, "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 2 Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed  upon the housetops. 4 "I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear him! 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. 7 Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

          I heard a very disturbing story on the news early yesterday morning on my way to work. That time of day is precious to me as a time relatively free of traffic, silent and there is just a hint of a beautiful new day about to start with the rising sun. As I drive I am cognizant of the nightlife as I see deer after deer peering from the wood, over the hills of the local golf course looking up only to wonder who is disrupting their morning gathering on the green.  The story was about some locale where there was an over abundance of squirrels.  In many areas it is permissible to euthanize them but not in this community.  What stuck in my head was the term 'euthanize'. Really, it means kill and that disturbs me.

           This reading seems chock full of images and messages. With my love of nature and animals what struck me is how 'not one sparrow is forgotten before God'. I may always have had an affinity for nature but I never embraced it fully until two things happened, ok, three things happened. I would say the biggest is the fact that I was able to come into contact and realize who I truly am, a gay man. After that, I was able to embrace all sorts of things that I had put aside or neglected. One of which was the love of animals. So along comes the second thing, I met my husband. This wonderful man owned a cat, that's the third thing. I had always been an avowed cat hater. It did not take me long to fall in love with George le Chat (the cat). These are gifts from God.  Had I read this scripture passage before these three events, I am sure I would not have grasped the message.

          God loves every creature great and small, every single one. God is capable of this. God is capable of creating a beautiful unique creation that I am and that you are so that "even the hairs of your head are numbered". Wow. This earth is not just a swirling ball set in motion and forgotten. Man, however much loved by God, is not the center of the universe to be cast above so that all everything else in creation is forgotten or disrespected.

          When we accept ourselves, honor ourselves and love ourselves, it becomes so easy to realize and see with clear eyes, the beauty of creation all around us. So besides aching when I hear stories of 'euthanizing' squirrels, I ache when I see a brother deer laying by the side of the road, it's spirit released to it loving creator.

           Honor life. Respect the uniqueness in all creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment